Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The World's Gone Made Part 2: The Shattering of the Glass Ceiling

Calvin came home from work the other day and told me about a colleague who "cannot do Thanksgiving" this year because of the election. Daily he comes home and tells me about the latest conversation, the varying topics that now divide her and her family. It was her husband who first brought up the notion that her parents "likely voted for Trump", and with a bit of probing the suggestion was made truth, and her world began to shatter.

Another friend of mine, a singer at church, told me on Sunday that he "cannot do Thanksgiving" this year. He was having a conversation with his parents: his daughters are crying, they are torn, but cannot be with grandparents who voted for Trump. A father's heart breaks; this year, they are a family in mourning and disarray.

The ceiling has been broken, but not in the way we thought. The ceiling of limited thinking has been pried open, and people are being forced into trying to understand the un-understandable – and it hurts. I have experienced my own deep pain, not only for the true sorrow of others’ pain and sadness that I feel in various shades, but also by some of my personal, deep wounds that were wrenched to the surface. When I tried to share my personal wounds, I was hit with a backlash of criticism, name calling, and judgment.

How can standing up for all women, saying I reject the outdated rhetoric that shames and blames women without even thinking garner so much hostility? I am baffled...truly. I used an article which resonated with what I had been feeling. Basically, you can reject what you believe Trump stands for without feeling the need to denigrate a woman to justify your stance.

Is this a defense of Melania Trump? No. Do I think that Melania's pictures, particularly the very sexualized ones, are a good model for young women? Do they represent sacred sexuality? Do they conform to many scriptures that advise a certain bodily purity? Of course not. Do I ideally think that this is good for the spirit and going to help produce fruits of the spirit? Most likely not. Many would argue that this kind of exploitation helps to destroy the spirit. Texts dating from thousands of years, from sages to the Bible, would perhaps confirm that. Am I here with such high arrogance and intelligence to dismiss these sacred texts? Absolutely not. In fact, I aim to the best of my ability to not only follow these very scriptures but to truly honor them.

On the other hand, am I the Creator of the universe, here to judge all of mankind? Thankfully not. For He is so much greater and bigger than any of this. I would also add much kinder and so, so, so, much more forgiving. I know, for I sit in his presence at times and feel his grace penetrate the depths of my being. That little girl inside was once told she was too fat, which then turned into not-good-enough, which got piled on with not-smart-enough, not-nice-enough, not-patient-enough. Enough, enough, enough! My mind is spinning. Don't worry, I can take control of this situation, I have got it. I will prove them wrong. I will be thinner; then I will be enough. I will be better than him or her, I will do and make and be, and, and, and… I am so very tired.

Then I sit with him again, basked in his perfect love, and he says: "Silly child, come rest with me, all is forgiven. In fact, there really was nothing to forgive, you have come to me and I embrace you fully just as you are.”

I read my feed again. What is so hard to understand about not blaming and shaming ALL women? I want to scream: “Why don't you get it?” The same way perhaps others of color or a certain religion are screaming: “Why can't you get it?” I want to say, “I do get it.” Yes, my pain is different than your pain. My walk in this world is not your walk in this world, but pain is pain, is pain. Where is the empathy, where is the compassion?

The shard of glass dug deeper into my already bleeding heart. Does anyone remember Mary Magdalene? Hmm, interesting thought. Melania Trump has become the archetype of the female prostitute, and people are eating it up. They have gone from insulting her mildly to holding up signs that now say: "Rape Melania". Is this the 2016 election, or is this some bad medieval dream? Again people, not about Melania Trump; this is about honoring the sacred feminine. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

People are in pain from the daggers of glass, forcing us to examine our darkest thoughts and deepest wounds. Some people fear it is the end times. An acquaintance came up to me at church, someone I know (just a little). She said, “Come here”, and gave me a hug. "I see people being ugly to you, and I just want you to know I am here for you." My eyes well up. Kindness and love bring forth the well of tears that heal the soul.


Let us be healed with His sweet and perfect water that we may thirst no more. Let us meet the Samaritan woman at the well, not with judgment and condemnation but with empathy, understanding, and perhaps with a bit of extra effort – forgiveness. And may we truly find hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment