Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Wisdom from the Mouth of Babes

So the idea of our children being our teachers is very popular these days.

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger. (Psalm 8: 1-2)

Jesus quotes this in Matthew's gospel:

And the blind and the lame came to him in the temple, and he healed them. But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying out in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” they were indignant, and they said to him, “Do you hear what these are saying?” And Jesus said to them, “Yes; have you never read, “‘Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies you have prepared praise’?” (Matt. 21: 14-16)

I don't disagree completely, but I do think there is a balance to be found. I am glad that we are in an age where children are honored as little beings and are respected enough to have their voices heard. When P responds confidently out loud, or asks a bold question amidst an adult conversation, my heart smiles. I was taught children were to be seen and not heard. I had a fear to express myself freely amidst elders, and even to this day sometimes it takes an act of courage to just be free to be me. That being said, for me it is equally obvious that children need, desire and thrive with clear boundaries and strong examples. They are not all enlightened little Buddhas to be worshiped at every turn. They test and try the patience of those who love them most, and basic virtues like sharing, speaking kindly, waiting your turn, etcetera, need to be taught and practiced again and again. Hopefully we do our best to model good behavior and are not too proud to admit when we have failed to do so. We can then have the gift to model humility.

I really love the authentic originality of pet names that children end up with from their mommies and families. P has gone from bump, to bumpy, P pod, bug and lately "just P". When Soren was only a few months old, P wanted to give him a nickname. Soren had particularly sharp little nails and seemed to like to scratch things to feel them, kind of like nails on a chalkboard for his mommy and daddy! P came up with the nickname Rosefingers. I loved it, so sweet. A few months later when Soren had usurped P's sippy cup with his usual grape juice / water mix, P came around the corner asking where his cup had gone. I told him Soren had it. He replied so candidly and honestly in a low gravelly voice: "Scratchy little hands". I laughed so hard. It was true of course, but in that moment Rosefingers had become a disgruntled scratchy little hands. Isn't it funny how easily our hearts can turn when our will is crossed? Something originally born out of love and affection turns into the worst of criticisms. Why are our hearts so fickle? Needless to say "Scratchy little hands" has stuck and Calvin and I use it regularly with great love towards our little monster (more recently coined with me and P, monster nuggles). Monster because he is into everything, and nuggles from P, for his unique term for Eskimo kisses, which I often give to him, and now he gives to his little brother.

I had another interesting learning moment from P the other morning on our way to church. We were talking en français about his talent show. He used the word practicer instead of répéter. We proceeded to get into a back-and-forth, P absolutely insisting it was a word and me telling him it was not, then giving him a high and mighty lecture about how I care about him and that is why I am insistent – ‘that there may be those that will let mistakes go and continue, and that you will think you are so great when you are not, and that those who really invest the time and energy to try to teach you what is right are those that care and want your best. In fact, instead of arguing back, you should be thankful.’ Calvin told me to drop it, which I did. P got the last word in insisting that practicer was indeed a real word. We went into church and per our usual routine I set him up with some breakfast food in the Parrish hall and sat for a moment with him before needing to head into the choir room to robe. Suddenly it dawned on me clear as light. He is thinking of pratiquer, and it would seem similar in meaning to répéter! In that moment I was so grateful for his insistence, not shutting down like I would have. He stood up for something he knew, and maybe it took ten repetitions to click. Maybe he was being a little stubborn, but so was I. I apologized and he became his sweetest self. We both laughed about what he was trying to say and me not getting it. We hugged and he said “you are the best mommy ever”. It was one of those learning/teaching moments from my P and I felt grateful.

Lastly I think about little monster nugggles. This morning I was trying to get some emails done. Soren was in his high chair complaining, and I took his little musical toy and put it in front of him. He was distracted and forgot for a moment. Of course, this is a trick all moms use. When he grasps on to something he should not and screams bloody murder when you remove it, you quickly replace it with something else. The law of distraction. This morning however it hit me. As adults, we have an issue or a problem and we focus on it. We go over and over it in our minds, replaying the tapes. Then we call our moms, girlfriends, husbands and go over it again. Spiritually we are called to focus not on things of this world but things above.

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3: 1-3

We are actually told: stop focusing over and over on this or that. The more energy we put on it, the stronger it will become. Cognitive therapy and the placebo effect remind us that our thoughts indeed do form our reality.


So thank you monster nuggles; and Master P for reminding me about the laws of distractions, the power of persistence in your truth, not being afraid to be, but most of all thank you for being my sweet loves and blessing me in this walk of life. I am so honored to be your mommy and pray daily that I can teach you wisdom and joy, and remain childlike and open enough to continue listening and learning from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment